This is a quick-and-easy rustic tart with a delicious flakey crust. Perfect as an indulgent dessert for date night or shared with a group of friends. Remember to prepare the tisane well in advance. It should be ice cold when you add it to the recipe.
Yield: 1 large galette
Freshly Picked Rooibos
- 2 tablespoons loose rooibos tea
- 1½ cups boiling water
- Steep tea according to instructions (typically 5 to 7 minutes for a rooibos).
- Strain tea leaves.
- Refrigerate tisane over night or until well chilled.
Part 1: Making the Pastry
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- Combine flour and salt in a large bowl, whisk well.
- Cut the butter into the mixture with a pastry blender and continue to mix until the dough resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a labeled measuring cup, combine the vinegar and egg yolk.
- Slowly add the ice cold rooibos tea into the cup, until total ingredients equal 1/3 of a cup.
- Sprinkle the liquid mixture over the dry mixture, and stir briskly with a fork until the pastry holds together.
- Form the pastry into a ball.
- Wrap the pastry in plastic wrap and refrigerate for one hour.
Part 2: The Galette Interior
- 2 cups cubed gala apples
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- ¼ cup golden raisins
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 tsp. brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Line a roasting pan and a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- To make the galette put the apple, raisins and cranberries in the prepared roasting pan.
- Pour ¼ cup of the ice-cold rooibos tea over the mixture.
- Place in the oven and roast for 30 to 40 minutes, or until the apples are tender.
- Remove from the oven. (Leave the oven on.)
Part 3: Joining Together
- Take the chilled pastry onto a lightly floured surface and roll it out to ⅛ inch thick.
- Round into a pie shell and place onto a baking sheet.
- Spoon the warmed apple mixture into the shell and sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Fold the sides of the pastry around the apples, leaving the center open.
- Place the galette in the oven and bake at 425°F for 18 minutes (or until slightly brown).
- Serve warm with a side of vanilla ice cream.
Recipe provided by Raelene Gannon, Tea and All Its Splendour
The post Apple Rooibos Galette appeared first on The Daily Tea.